Sunday, August 22, 2010

Hiking Half Dome

One thing I can honestly say is that at any point in my life before this week, I would have called you crazy if you said I would not absolutely hate my class. Ever since about 7 years ago when I moved to the school I am at now, I have been looking forward to the day when I would graduate and be able to leave. And now one week into my senior year, I can honestly say that I love my class and I will miss them. I think.

As you should know, I have spent the last four and a half days in Yosemite national Park with my class. It really opened my eyes to how much all those rowdy obnoxious kids have matured. They still aren't perfect, but then neither am I. But I think there are things I over looked about them in previous year,and I am excited to see how this year turns out.

On the Friday, while we were at Yosemite, we had the, to put it the nicest way, opportunity to hike Half Dome. This is Half Dome, for those who don't know

It is an 18-mile hike, up and down hills, it took about 12 hours. 12 long, strenuous and VERY tiring hours. We all kind of went at our own pace so we were spread out along the trail at different points. On the way up I was with two of the guys from my class and we kept a good steady pace that was good for us, and stayed as a group instead of leaving someone behind when they were tired. The two of them encouraging me is probably what got me up those last two miles and the cables because I was dead tired. But after a 2 hour rest and some lunch sitting on top the the mountain we had concord, a big group decided all head down at together. An interesting fact, we actually got all but one of the students from my class that started the hike up to the top. That's some major achievement yo. Anyways, about 10 of us started down at the same time, but before long, My history teacher, my self, and a friend of mine had left everyone else far behind. We ran into a group of three really nice British people also heading down the trail, and you can probably guess what happened. I started talking to them. DUH. And while I was busy having an awesome conversation, my teacher and my friend slowly got farther and farther ahead. By the time we reached the fork where the trail split, an I turned away from my new British friends, they were long gone. My teacher had given us all maps, told us what trails to take, and the name of the town were the cars were parked. Simple. I had 2.5 miles to go until I reached the end. NO PROBLEM i though. I'll do that in no time. and talking to some people coming up the trail, I knew that I was only about 10 minuets behind. So I made my way down the steep rock steps and along the trail, but soon it became apartment i would not catch up. I began to get tired, I wanted to rest, but when I would stop, I knew that I needed to get up and keep going. I had to take a few more steps. I had to get back.

There were a few different trails to get back, and as it turned out I took the one that people from my class didn't take. So the people behind me never caught up. I spent 2 hours walking by myself through the forest, hardly ever seeing another person. I spent a lot of time talking to my camera that day. So I will have a video up soon. I learned lot that day, about my limits, about friendship, about true loneliness, and about the importance of team work. Something changed inside me in those two hours by myself, when my body was so tired and all my energy was spent. I'm not sure what it was, or if it good or bad, but I feel different. Not a lot different, but different. I hope this feeling sticks around, and grows into something beautiful.

Now I am going to nurse my blister and sore muscles, and head to bed (an actual bed YAY!)and get some sleep so I can get up for school tomorrow.

Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment